"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

Monday, February 22, 2010

What happens when You are away?

Yup, yesterday's was a great ride.  Just under 100 miles, around 2000' of climbing, expended about 4600 calories.
Started cold, got colder .  .  . why is it colder after dawn anyway?
(If anyone is really interested, check out this link  Coldest After Dawn 
Climbing was more comfortable than descending, the windchill was off the chart!  Good thing I had an extra hat to use as insulation in areas that . . . well . . . areas you just do not want cold.
At one point on our cold morning the lead rider (after realizing he had not seen me for ten miles) turned and asked "Rich, are you OK?"  Funny I thought . . . I've been behind you because it is probably 15 degrees warmer!
But once the sun was fully up . . . it was SPECTACULAR!  Too bad a full 1/2 of our contingent had previous commitments and had to leave early. (I think the major climb left them breathless .  . .)
The subject of this photo asked that I note upon publication: "he does not normally look this way."  Frankly, I have no idea what he means, he always looks this way. (ed)
The days lone drama (each and every ride must have a minimum one drama):
For some reason, when my camelback hose finally thawed beneath several layers of clothing . . . there must have been pressure in the bladder . . . it blew the valve off the hose!  Somewhere around 10 ounces of sticky red stuff saturated my outer two layers .  .  . (there must be a lesson there somewhere .  .  .  if I can only find it.)
And to answer the days question:  "What happens when you are away for an eight hour bike ride?"  I offer the following;
Yup . . . a new cat arrived.  My youngest promises me she will only be here for two weeks . . .  Do you think I can believe her?

3 comments:

  1. That is a good lookin' animal - the cat. Oh, there's no way that guy weighs 159 lbs. Either he's really fat or he's got his frozen bladder under his shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking for more miles. Keep me posted when you go. You guys are beasts on the hills...but I am looking for another 50 ft...then I might hang with the Crusher! And that skinny guy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard something about 'warming' the hose in his tights....too much info,..:)))

    ReplyDelete